Monday, October 17, 2011

I have adhd

When I was about three years old, I was diagnosed with ADHD. ADHD or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a chronic condition that effects about three to five percent of children 30 to 50 percent still have symptoms in adulthood. Like I said, I was diagnosed at the age of three and even though I take medication for it, they really only seem to cover the hyperactivity part of it and only slightly helps with everything else. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it at least takes care of that. I would rather learn to cope with having trouble focusing in class and getting distracted when working on home work, then having trouble staying in my chair, both at home and at school. I also tend to have difficulty remembering things and often getting very confused or having difficulty understanding things. I don’t mean I’m completely clueless, just that I have to ask for help or look into things further to make sure I’m doing them right. Sadly this has caused me to do poorly in my classes in college lately. I end up putting assignments off until late in the afternoon and often put less effort into them then I should or I completely forget to do a project or assignment until the day before. But recently I’ve been talking to people at pathways, a student help center of sorts at my college as well as my sister reminding me to put due dates on my planner as well as helping me put the school email on my phone so I can access it when I’m in a hurry. Hopefully this can help me manage my time better so I can do better in my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment